Society faces major challenges regarding energy transition, circularity, sustainability, climate adaptation and urban resilience. These challenges demand innovation and transitions in all civil engineering domains: the construction industry, water management systems and transport infrastructure networks. Our department is leading in these processes through interdisciplinary and transdisciplinary research and education. You will be positioned in the Integrated Project Delivery (IPD) group. This group has a strong focus on the managerial aspects of Civil Engineering.
The aim of the IPD group is to support public and private actors to effectively deal with the transitions that are taking place in the built environment. At the same time, we need to reach the international sustainability and energy aims and adapting to climate change. We contribute to scientific and technological innovations through real-life implementation studies, active participation in field labs and ground-breaking research. We operate in close connection to scientific (inter)national networks such as 4TU Built Environment, 4TU Resilience Engineering, ARCOM, STRN, EURAM and EGOS, and actively operate in a variety of network of private and public partners related to the construction industry and infrastructure sector.
Due to a financial impulse of the Dutch government we can stimulate the domain of design-oriented engineering. We are doing this by studying, developing and teaching new process approaches, concepts, methods and technologies with a civil engineering and management focus. We take trends and developments, such as the rising circular economy, digitalization of existing infrastructure assets and service-oriented ecosystems, into account to reconfigure ways of working in construction and accelerate transitions in infrastructure systems. We improve the socio-technical design of innovative infrastructure and asset management from a sustainable lifecycle perspective.
At the UT we highly value ambitions to develop new teaching phenomena in teaching, just as a drive to develop new (lifelong) learning methods such as Challenge-Based Learning. We strive for a significant impact to society. There are plenty of opportunities to develop your career further in time.
Candidates we seek:
- Have acquired a PhD degree in (applied) innovation sciences, civil engineering, design science, environmental studies, transition studies, industrial engineering, organization science or a related field.
- Have an academic track record in one or several of the following fields: transformation, infrastructure systems, asset management, circularity, sustainability, innovation and risk management.
- Are interested in contributing to the societal challenges of the construction industry related to sustainable asset management and / or infrastructure networks.
- Want to be part of a forward-thinking team-based environment and will proactively searches collaboration with adjoining research chairs like Civil Engineering & Management (CEM – ET), department of Design, Production and Management (DPM – ET) and department of Science, Technology & Policy (STEPS – BMS) at the University of Twente and beyond.
- Are active in networks for acquiring research funding and are looking forward to intensively collaborate with government agencies and the Dutch and European industry. These parties are involved in economic infrastructures based on public-private financing.
- Have a passion for teaching in the sketched research field and hold a University Teaching Qualification (UTQ) for Dutch Universities, a similar qualification, or are willing to obtain this.
- Develop our research and teaching ecosystem (e.g. by acquiring external research funding).
- Have good communication skills and an excellent command of English and can speak or willing to learn Dutch.
Most of all, you are passionate and knowledgeable about the things you do, and you feel comfortable to work in an inclusive group of academics that really want to contribute to the grand societal challenges of today. If you are ready to bring the field of civil engineering and management to a higher level, apply now!
Women are explicitly asked to apply for this position. This is part of the University of Twente’s strategy to increase the proportion of women among its faculty and to create a working environment that is diverse and inclusive and supportive of excellence in research and teaching.
We offer a fulltime position for 1 year, with the prospect of a permanent position after a positive evaluation. The starting salary, depending on your experience, ranges between € 3.974,- and € 6.181,- per month in accordance with the Collective Labour Agreement for Dutch Universities), based on the job profile Assistant Professor. The University of Twente offers additional attractive employment conditions like 8% holiday allowance, 8.3% end-of-year bonus, solid pension scheme, sabbatical leave and personal development programs. We are a family-friendly institution that offers parental leave (both paid and unpaid) and career support for partners.
You will have the opportunity to work with a PhD candidate on a fully funded position.
We offer an excellent and inspiring scientific environment with enthusiastic colleagues in an organization focusing on internationalization. You will have a high degree of responsibility and independence, while collaborating close with colleagues, researchers and other university staff is strongly encouraged.
Your work will take place on the lively, green University of Twente campus with a pleasant atmosphere and lots of facilities for sports and leisure.
Bedrijfsprofiel Universiteit Twente
The Faculty of Engineering Technology (ET) engages in education and research of Mechanical Engineering, Civil Engineering and Industrial Design Engineering. We enable society and industry to innovate and create value using efficient, solid and sustainable technology. We are part of a ‘people-first' university of technology, taking our place as an internationally leading center for smart production, processes and devices in five domains: Health Technology, Maintenance, Smart Regions, Smart Industry and Sustainable Resources. Our faculty is home to about 2,900 Bachelor's and Master's students, 550 employees and 150 PhD candidates. Our educational and research programmes are closely connected with UT research institutes Mesa+ Institute, TechMed Center and Digital Society Institute.
By clicking the application button, you will be navigated to the website of the University of Twente. In case the link is not working anymore, the vacancy has expired and you will no longer be able to apply. We try to keep our job database as up-to-date as possible, we would very much appreciate it if you could let us know in case a link is not working.
Would you like to be kept up-to-date about other interesting jobs in Twente, then sign up here and create your own job account!