What will your responsibilities be?
In this position, you will take part in service teaching and you will also teach subjects in the BSc AM programme that are close to your (research) interest. Supervision of BSc and MSc students may be part of the job. Many bachelor and almost all master programmes at the UT are taught in English.
- You have a PhD degree in mathematics or in a related subject, and some experience in teaching mathematics. Examples that we have in mind are recent graduates, high school teachers with first degree teaching qualification, but also researchers who want to gain teaching experience.
- You are open minded towards modern views on teaching and learning. You are a creative teacher who can help us with educational challenges/opportunities such as the current use of remote teaching due to the Corona crisis. The university has a focus on project-based learning. They expect that you will continue to shape your professional development as a lecturer. To facilitate the professional development and quality of teaching, all lecturers are required to acquire the University Teaching Qualification (UTQ) within two years of their appointment, unless they already have an equivalent qualification.
- Finally, you are a great teammate with excellent interpersonal skills and are proficient in English. Proficiency in Dutch is a plus but not required.
- They have two 0.8-1 fte Lecturer positions available with an initial contract for 2 years. One position is in principle temporary. For the other position you will, near the end of the contract, be subject to a job performance evaluation. If positive and the circumstances of the organization remain the same, your contract will be converted into a permanent contract.
- In case of a strong record in research, a small portion of the position dedicated to research is negotiable (max. 20%).
- Their terms of employment are in accordance with the Dutch Collective Labor Agreement for Universities (CAO) and include a holiday allowance of 8% of the gross annual salary and a year-end bonus of 8.3 %.
- Depending on your relevant background and experience, the gross monthly salary on a full-time basis ranges from € 2.846,- € to € 5.230,- per month (scale 10/11).
- Further growth towards a more senior position with a maximum of € 5.943,- per month is possible if you possess ample experience in additional tasks like independent development of educational units.
- Furthermore, they offer excellent professional and personal development programs and a secondary remuneration package including a travel allowance.
- Finally, you will work in a lively, inspiring and dynamic working environment in an organization focusing on internationalization and a high degree of responsibility and independence.
Bedrijfsprofiel Universiteit Twente
About the organization:
The faculty of Electrical Engineering, Mathematics and Computer Science (EEMCS) uses mathematics, electronics and computer technology to contribute to the development of Information and Communication Technology (ICT). With ICT present in almost every device and product we use nowadays, they embrace their role as contributors to a broad range of societal activities and as pioneers of tomorrow's digital society. As part of a people-first tech university that aims to shape society, individuals and connections, their faculty works together intensively with industrial partners and researchers in the Netherlands and abroad, and conducts extensive research for external commissioning parties and funders. Their research has a high profile both in the Netherlands and internationally. It has been accommodated in three multidisciplinary UT research institutes: Mesa+ Institute, TechMed Centre and Digital Society Institute.
About the department:
The department of Applied Mathematics (AM) is part of the faculty Electrical Engineering Mathematics and Computer Science (EEMCS) of the University of Twente (UT), and is responsible for the BSc and MSc programmes in AM and all service teaching in mathematics at the UT. Their mission is to guide students in their development as an academic and towards the choice for a subsequent MSc programme and thus prepare them for an international career.
A major task is the service teaching: the department teaches almost all mathematics courses university wide. The department actively participates in and contributes to the Dutch Master Programme in Mathematics (MasterMath) and in several local and national graduate programs. The ambition of the department is to attract students from all over the globe and to build a truly international education environment for students and staff. The language of tuition is English and intercultural competence forms an explicit part of the curriculum and of the final qualifications. Their goal is to further develop this and to disseminate the outstanding character of the programme, thus growing the inflow of both national and international students.
By clicking the application button, you will be navigated to the website of the University of Twente. In case the link is not working anymore, the vacancy has expired and you will no longer be able to apply. We try to keep our job database as up-to-date as possible, we would very much appreciate it if you could let us know in case a link is not working? You can do this by sending an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Would you like to be kept up-to-date about other interesting jobs in Twente, then sign up here and create your own job account!