The project, on “Gas phase ELEctrocatalysis for methane VAlorizaTION” (ELEVATION), will explore the conversion of methane towards C2+-products or methanol using gas-phase electrocatalysis. The main goal is to uncover the role of water vapor as precursor to anodically generate active oxygen species for tuning the efficiency and selectivity of methane conversion. This will be studied via gas-phase polymeric electrolyte membrane (PEM) electrolysis, using humid methane as feedstock.
As a postdoctoral researcher, you will fabricate membrane-electrode assemblies based on polymeric electrolyte membranes and earth abundant transition metal oxides. You will utilize them in a gas-phase electrolyzer. You will investigate the effect of the proton exchange membrane ionomer, with focus on operational parameters such as relative humidity and temperature. You will perform kinetic studies using time-resolved FT-IR spectro-electrochemistry
- Fabricate porous metal oxides & membrane-electrode assemblies (MEAs)
- Characterize MEAs (XRD, XPS, SEM)
- Investigate the reaction kinetics by in-situ FT-IR
- Work closely with the consortium via short research stays to utilize SECM at RWTH Aachen and TPD techniques at FAU Erlangen-Nürnberg
- Study the performance of MEAs via product analysis (GC, MS)
- Update the consortium on the scientific results and project progress on a regular basis and represent the team at conferences
- PhD in chemistry, material science, physics, engineering or equivalent field
- Experience in electrocatalysis
- Experience in infra-red spectroscopy
- Expertise with one or more relevant domains of: materials synthesis, heterogeneous catalysis, structural characterization techniques, time-resolved spectroscopy, mechanistic/kinetic studie
- Experience with taking projects from “0 to 1”
- Strong English communication skills
- Passion for sustainable energy technologies
You will be appointed on a fulltime position for 12 months with possible extension. The university offers a dynamic ecosystem with enthusiastic colleagues in a stimulating scientific environment. The post-doc salary is between € 3.420,- and € 4.490,- gross per month depending on experience and qualifications. The offer further involves: a holiday allowance of 8% of the gross annual salary and a year-end bonus of 8.3%, a solid pension scheme, a minimum of 29-day holidays, and numerous professional and personal development programs.
Bedrijfsprofiel Universiteit Twente
The Faculty of Science & Technology (Technische Natuurwetenschappen, TNW) engages some 700 staff members and 2000 students in education and research on the cutting edge of chemical technology, applied physics and biomedical technology. Their fields of application include sustainable energy, process technology and materials science, nanotechnology and technical medicine. As part of a people-first tech university that aims to shape society, individuals and connections, our faculty works together intensively with industrial partners and researchers in the Netherlands and abroad, and conducts extensive research for external commissioning parties and funders. Their research has a high profile both in the Netherlands and internationally and is strengthened by the many young researchers working on innovative projects with as doctoral candidates and post-docs. It has been accommodated in three multidisciplinary UT research institutes: Mesa+ Institute, TechMed Centre and Digital Society Institute.
By clicking the application button, you will be navigated to the website of University of Twente. In case the link is not working anymore, the vacancy has expired and you will no longer be able to apply. We try to keep our job database as up-to-date as possible, we would very much appreciate it if you could let us know in case a link is not working.
Would you like to be kept up-to-date about other interesting jobs in Twente, then sign up here and create your own job account!