The coastal zone is one of the highest density population areas in the world, with about 40% of the global population living within 100 km of the coast in the present, which is expected to grow further over the 21st century. The low elevation coastal zone is very vulnerable to sea level rise (SLR) and is especially under great threat of coastal flooding. Several recent studies have shown that climate change will result in an increase in the frequency of episodic flooding. The asset value at risk from coastal flooding globally is estimated to be up to $14.2 trillion by the end of the century under RCP 8.5. Therefore, robust projections of future coastal flooding are essential for risk reduction and effective adaptation. However, up to date, future coastal flooding, especially at regional and global scales, has been estimated based on projections of extreme water levels. The potentially very important component of vertical land motion (VLM) is often neglected in estimating coastal flooding. It has been shown that the land subsidence rates at some locations are much larger compared to the sea level rise itself. Thus, incorporating the land motion component in coastal flooding assessments is very important. This PhD project aims to produce the global data base of vertical land motion and the associated projections of coastal flooding.
- You have BSc and MSc degree in Civil Engineering, Applied Mathematics, Earth Observation or a related discipline.
- You have knowledge or strong affinity with coastal/ocean systems.
- You have sound programming skills for data analysis, numerical modelling (e.g Python, Matlab, other).
- You have experience with satellite remote sensing/earth observation and image processing; with handling big (global) data sets.
- You have good organizational skills. You are enthusiastic, independent and have a problem solving attitude.
- You are willing to contribute to teaching in the Civil Engineering educational program and to supervise graduate students.
- You have good communication and writing skills (in English (IELTS >= 6.5 or equivalent), preferably also in Dutch). It’s nice if you have written scientific papers.
The UT provides a dynamic and international environment, combining the benefits of academic research with a topic of high industrial relevance, excellent working conditions, an exciting scientific environment, and a green and lively campus. We offer:
- A full-time 4-year PhD position;
- Excellent mentorship in a stimulating research environment with excellent facilities;
- An offer for a personal development program within the Twente Graduate School;
- A gross monthly salary of € 2.395 in the first year, increasing each year up to € 3.061 in the fourth year;
- A holiday allowance of 8% of the gross annual salary, and a year-end bonus of 8.3%;
- A minimum of 29 holidays per year in case of full-time employment.
Bedrijfsprofiel Universiteit Twente
The Faculty of Engineering Technology (ET) engages in education and research Mechanical Engineering, Civil Engineering and Industrial Design Engineering with a view to enabling society and industry to innovate and create value using sound, efficient and sustainable technology. We are part of a ‘people-first' university of technology, taking our place as an internationally leading centre for smart production, processes and devices in five domains: Health Technology, Maintenance, Smart Regions, Smart Industry and Sustainable Resources. Our faculty is home to some 1,800 Bachelor's and Master's students, 400 employees and 150 PhD candidates and offers three degree programmes: Mechanical Engineering, Civil Engineering and Industrial Design Engineering. Our educational and research programme are closely connected with UT research institutes Mesa+ Institute, TechMed Centra and Digital Society Institute.
As an employer, the ET Faculty offers jobs that matter. We equip you as a staff member to shape new opportunities both for yourself and for our society. With our Faculty, you will be part of a leading tech university that is changing our world for the better. We offer an open, inclusive and entrepreneurial climate, in which we encourage you to make healthy choices, for example, with our flexible, customizable conditions.
University of Twente (UT)
University of Twente (UT) has entered the new decade with an ambitious, new vision, mission and strategy. As ‘the ultimate people-first university of technology' we are rapidly expanding on our High Tech Human Touch philosophy and the unique role it affords us in society. Everything we do is aimed at maximum impact on people, society and connections through the sustainable utilisation of science and technology. We want to contribute to the development of a fair, digital and sustainable society through our open, inclusive and entrepreneurial attitude. This attitude permeates everything we do and is present in every one of UT's departments and faculties. Building on our rich legacy in merging technical and social sciences, we focus on five distinguishing research domains: Improving healthcare by personalised technologies; Creating intelligent manufacturing systems; Shaping our world with smart materials; Engineering our digital society; and Engineering for a resilient world.
As an employer, University of Twente offers jobs that matter. We equip you as a staff member to shape new opportunities both for yourself and for our society. With us, you will be part of a leading tech university that is changing our world for the better. We offer an open, inclusive and entrepreneurial climate, in which we encourage you to make healthy choices, for example, with our flexible, customisable conditions.
By clicking the application button, you will be navigated to the website of the University of Twente. In case the link is not working anymore, the vacancy has expired and you will no longer be able to apply. We try to keep our job database as up-to-date as possible, we would very much appreciate it if you could let us know in case a link is not working.
Would you like to be kept up-to-date about other interesting jobs in Twente, then sign up here and create your own job account!