The Department of Design, Production and Management (DPM) of the Faculty of Engineering Technology aims at understanding and improving design and engineering processes. Focal points in this research field are the development of methods and tools for product design against the background of the requirements and constraints of the entire product life cycle. In design engineering research at DPM, the focus is on understanding and improving products, systems and related design processes.
We are looking for an enthusiastic assistant professor in the Department of Design, Production and Management, who is passionate about education in sustainable products and energy systems, as well as multidisciplinary design-driven energy research.
In the Sustainable Products and Energy Systems (SPES) group of DPM, multidisciplinary design-driven research and education is focussed on the optimal use and integration of sustainable energy technologies in products, buildings and local infrastructures. Designs of sustainable energy systems are developed, analysed and improved by means of simulation, prototyping and testing of real applications. A strong interest exists in optimized applications of solar energy technologies in buildings and mobility as well as hybrid energy systems with storage, that support enhanced user interactions and acceptance, flexibility of energy systems, low costs and reduced environmental impacts.
In the position of assistant professor you are responsible for collaborative research tasks in multidisciplinary research projects of SPES with colleagues at DPM, UT, FPC and external academic and industrial partners. Research projects topics could be: smart energy systems, solar photovoltaics, sustainable mobility and the circular society.
Further you are responsible for the execution and improvement of teaching in the following international Bachelor and Master programs: Industrial Design Engineering, Sustainable Energy Technology and Mechanical Engineering. This will include supervision of students at the Bachelor, Master and PhD level and teaching of courses, e.g. on sustainable design, solar energy and building-integrated energy systems.
- You have a doctoral degree related to design engineering, multidisciplinary energy research and/or data analytics of solar energy, distributed energy systems and storage;
- You have recent and relevant publications in the topic areas of the job description;
- You are a clear communicator and team player with excellent interpersonal skills. You have shown experience with and enthusiasm for undertaking collaborative projects with a high degree of responsibility and independence;
- Your communication skills in English are excellent. Mastering the Dutch language is not a prerequisite but should be a goal from the beginning;
- You have a passion for teaching and you hold a University Teaching Qualification for Dutch Universities, a similar qualification, or are willing to obtain this;
- Excellence in working with data, platforms/languages (e.g. Python, C++, etc.), and CAD software (e.g. Solidworks, Pro/Engineer etc.).
The following aspects are an advantage but can also be developed over time.
- Experience with collaborative projects with academics and industry, and working in international environments;
- Experience with acquisition and proposal writing;
- Experience with Life Cycle Analysis;
- Experience in online/distance learning modes of education.
- You will be appointed for two years, with the prospect of a permanent position after a positive evaluation. The university offers a dynamic ecosystem with enthusiastic colleagues in which internationalization is an important part of the strategic agenda;
- A fulltime position with a gross salary between € 3.746,- and € 5.826,- per month, depending on experience and qualifications;
- A holiday allowance of 8% of the gross annual salary and a year-end bonus of 8.3%;
- A solid pension scheme;
- Minimum of 29 holidays in case of full-time employment;
- Possibilities to save up holidays for sabbatical leave;
- Professional and personal development programs.
Bedrijfsprofiel Universiteit Twente
The Faculty of Engineering Technology (ET) engages in education and research Mechanical Engineering, Civil Engineering and Industrial Design Engineering with a view to enabling society and industry to innovate and create value using sound, efficient and sustainable technology. We are part of a ‘people-first' university of technology, taking our place as an internationally leading centre for smart production, processes and devices in five domains: Health Technology, Maintenance, Smart Regions, Smart Industry and Sustainable Resources. Our faculty is home to some 1,800 Bachelor's and Master's students, 400 employees and 150 PhD candidates and offers three degree programmes: Mechanical Engineering, Civil Engineering and Industrial Design Engineering. Our educational and research programme are closely connected with UT research institutes Mesa+ Institute, TechMed Centra and Digital Society Institute.
As an employer, the ET Faculty offers jobs that matter. We equip you as a staff member to shape new opportunities both for yourself and for our society. With our Faculty, you will be part of a leading tech university that is changing our world for the better. We offer an open, inclusive and entrepreneurial climate, in which we encourage you to make healthy choices, for example, with our flexible, customizable conditions.
University of Twente (UT)
University of Twente (UT) has entered the new decade with an ambitious, new vision, mission and strategy. As ‘the ultimate people-first university of technology' we are rapidly expanding on our High Tech Human Touch philosophy and the unique role it affords us in society. Everything we do is aimed at maximum impact on people, society and connections through the sustainable utilisation of science and technology. We want to contribute to the development of a fair, digital and sustainable society through our open, inclusive and entrepreneurial attitude. This attitude permeates everything we do and is present in every one of UT's departments and faculties. Building on our rich legacy in merging technical and social sciences, we focus on five distinguishing research domains: Improving healthcare by personalised technologies; Creating intelligent manufacturing systems; Shaping our world with smart materials; Engineering our digital society; and Engineering for a resilient world.
As an employer, University of Twente offers jobs that matter. We equip you as a staff member to shape new opportunities both for yourself and for our society. With us, you will be part of a leading tech university that is changing our world for the better. We offer an open, inclusive and entrepreneurial climate, in which we encourage you to make healthy choices, for example, with our flexible, customisable conditions.
By clicking the application button, you will be navigated to the website of University of Twente. In case the link is not working anymore, the vacancy has expired and you will no longer be able to apply. We try to keep our job database as up-to-date as possible, we would very much appreciate it if you could let us know in case a link is not working.
Would you like to be kept up-to-date about other interesting jobs in Twente, then sign up here and create your own job account!