The Research Project:
The goal of this project is the design, development and testing of a smart cycling eco-system where bicycles communicate in real time with each other and with the urban transport infrastructure (e.g. traffic lights) to optimize the use and to improve traffic safety, economical value, and efficiency. This requires technologies and mechanisms to allow monitoring the bike, understanding the cyclist and the context, as well as data sharing between cyclists, industry, service providers, government, and urban planners. The new eco-system can drive decision-making, behavior incentivization, and ultimately investment across government, and beyond. A key ingredient is an AI-enabled IoT ecosystem in which data is securely collected, shared, processed in combination with other data sources and made available to establish new services.
We are seeking a PhD candidate for the full-time 4-year project on “Connected Intelligent Bicycle platform” within the department of Computer Science at the Pervasive Systems Research group. In this project, a connected bicycle ecosystem will be designed, combining the capabilities of sensing, wireless technology and data science, to make bicycle use safer, more reliable, and comfortable. Bicycles can collect data from itself, cyclists, and surroundings (other bicycles, vehicles, pedestrian, infrastructure, etc.) and be aware of context and interact with it. Extensive experiments will be carried out to gather data with various sensors, identify the relevant features, and develop and evaluate the performance and effectiveness of the system.
- You are a MSc-level graduate in computer science with a technical background and interest in embedded systems, wireless networks, data analytics, or related fields.
- You have good communication skills and you have a strong interest in operating at the crossroads of different disciplines.
- You have an excellent command of English (C1; above IELTS 7 or equivalent).
- You are able to do independent research and have publication skills.
- We offer a four-year fulltime PhD position;
- We provide excellent mentorship and a stimulating research environment with excellent facilities;
- You are offered a professional and personal development program within the Twente Graduate School;
- A starting salary of € 2.395 gross per month in the first year and a salary of € 3.061 in the fourth year gross per month;
- Excellent benefits including a holiday allowance of 8% of the gross annual salary and a year-end bonus of 8.3%, minimum of 29 holidays per year in case of fulltime employment and a solid pension scheme;
- A training program in which you and your supervisor will make up a plan for additional suitable education and supervision;
- We encourage a high degree of responsibility and independence, while collaborating with close colleagues, researchers and other university staff.
Bedrijfsprofiel Universiteit Twente
The faculty of Electrical Engineering, Mathematics and Computer Science (EEMCS) uses mathematics, electronics and computer technology to contribute to the development of Information and Communication Technology (ICT). With ICT present in almost every device and product we use nowadays, we embrace our role as contributors to a broad range of societal activities and as pioneers of tomorrow's digital society. As part of a people-first tech university that aims to shape society, individuals and connections, our faculty works together intensively with industrial partners and researchers in the Netherlands and abroad, and conducts extensive research for external commissioning parties and funders. Our research has a high profile both in the Netherlands and internationally. It has been accommodated in three multidisciplinary UT research institutes: Mesa+ Institute, TechMed Centre and Digital Society Institute.
As an employer, the EEMCS Faculty offers jobs that matter. We equip you as a staff member to shape new opportunities both for yourself and for our society. With our Faculty, you will be part of a leading tech university that is changing our world for the better. We offer an open, inclusive and entrepreneurial climate, in which we encourage you to make healthy choices, for example, with our flexible, customizable conditions.
University of Twente (UT)
University of Twente (UT) has entered the new decade with an ambitious, new vision, mission and strategy. As ‘the ultimate people-first university of technology' we are rapidly expanding on our High Tech Human Touch philosophy and the unique role it affords us in society. Everything we do is aimed at maximum impact on people, society and connections through the sustainable utilisation of science and technology. We want to contribute to the development of a fair, digital and sustainable society through our open, inclusive and entrepreneurial attitude. This attitude permeates everything we do and is present in every one of UT's departments and faculties. Building on our rich legacy in merging technical and social sciences, we focus on five distinguishing research domains: Improving healthcare by personalised technologies; Creating intelligent manufacturing systems; Shaping our world with smart materials; Engineering our digital society; and Engineering for a resilient world.
As an employer, University of Twente offers jobs that matter. We equip you as a staff member to shape new opportunities both for yourself and for our society. With us, you will be part of a leading tech university that is changing our world for the better. We offer an open, inclusive and entrepreneurial climate, in which we encourage you to make healthy choices, for example, with our flexible, customisable conditions.
By clicking the application button, you will be navigated to the website of University Twente. In case the link is not working anymore, the vacancy has expired and you will no longer be able to apply. We try to keep our job database as up-to-date as possible, we would very much appreciate it if you could let us know in case a link is not working.
Would you like to be kept up-to-date about other interesting jobs in Twente, then sign up here and create your own job account!