The NEON project "lights the way to zero emission energy and mobility". Partnering with among others TU/e, TU Delft, Nijmegen University and a broad set of companies, you could be our PhD candidate that will work on integration of simulation models that accelerate the energy transition!
NEON addresses three interrelated societal challenges: climate action, renewable energy and smart & sustainable transport. By conducting our research from multiple views and starting points, we seek at growing understanding and facilitating an acceleration towards a sustainable society. An important tool in the project is modelling. In NEON, we jointly build models for the energy and mobility transition, for climate impact, and for energy demand and energy markets. You will research and develop an integral model architecture and integration mechanism for these models. The architecture and mechanism will allow the other models to be developed largely independently, yet combined will result in coherent integral results.
We are looking for a highly motivated and hardworking PhD candidate to strengthen our multidisciplinary research team. You will work in a stimulating multidisciplinary scientific environment: cooperation with over 30 other PhD candidates that work together in the NEON research facility, and with connections to specialists in the international research community. Specifically, you will 1) investigate interactions between the models, 2) employ systems engineering approaches to create a coherent modelling architecture that allows largely independent development of the individual models, 3) implement the architecture in mechanisms to yield coherent combined results of the models.
- A MSc degree in sustainable energy technology, mechanical engineering, electrical engineering, civil engineering, software engineering, applied physics, or related field;
- Proficient in modelling, and preferably have experience with agent-based or system dynamics modelling of complex systems;
- Understanding of and experience with Systems Engineering principles and approaches;
- Proficient in written and oral English;
- The ability to operate at the intersection of various fields;
- A high degree of responsibility and independence, able to collaborate with colleagues, researchers, and other university staff;
- Experience with AnyLogic, Eclipse, Vensim or the likes would further strengthen the application.
The UT provides a dynamic and international environment, combining the benefits of academic research with a topic of high societal relevance, excellent working conditions, an exciting scientific environment, and a green and lively campus. We offer:
- A full-time 4-year PhD position;
- Excellent mentorship in a vibrant research environment both at the UT and the joint NEON research space in Eindhoven;
- An offer for a personal development program within the Twente Graduate School;
- A gross monthly salary of € 2.395 in the first year, increasing each year up to € 3.061 in the fourth year;
- A holiday allowance of 8% of the gross annual salary, and a year-end bonus of 8.3%;
- A minimum of 29 holidays per year in case of full-time employment;
- Full status as an UT-employee, including pension and health care benefits.
Bedrijfsprofiel Universiteit Twente
University of Twente (UT)
University of Twente (UT) has entered the new decade with an ambitious, new vision, mission and strategy. As ‘the ultimate people-first university of technology' we are rapidly expanding on our High Tech Human Touch philosophy and the unique role it affords us in society. Everything we do is aimed at maximum impact on people, society and connections through the sustainable utilisation of science and technology. We want to contribute to the development of a fair, digital and sustainable society through our open, inclusive and entrepreneurial attitude. This attitude permeates everything we do and is present in every one of UT's departments and faculties. Building on our rich legacy in merging technical and social sciences, we focus on five distinguishing research domains: Improving healthcare by personalised technologies; Creating intelligent manufacturing systems; Shaping our world with smart materials; Engineering our digital society; and Engineering for a resilient world.
As an employer, University of Twente offers jobs that matter. We equip you as a staff member to shape new opportunities both for yourself and for our society. With us, you will be part of a leading tech university that is changing our world for the better. We offer an open, inclusive and entrepreneurial climate, in which we encourage you to make healthy choices, for example, with our flexible, customisable conditions.
By clicking the application button, you will be navigated to the website of The University Of Twente. In case the link is not working anymore, the vacancy has expired and you will no longer be able to apply. We try to keep our job database as up-to-date as possible, we would very much appreciate it if you could let us know in case a link is not working.
Would you like to be kept up-to-date about other interesting jobs in Twente, then sign up here and create your own job account!