Within the ITC’s mission, the claims for sufficient and secure food, water, energy, health, land and housing are important elements. As these resources are desired by all but not always sufficient for all demands, there is scarcity (globally and certainly at national or local scales). In most societies today, (scarce) resources are traded through markets which assign them a monetary value. Economics deals with the value, trade and distribution of such scarce resources. Because the world is increasingly realizing that there are important non-monetary values to (esp. natural) resources, the economic dimension is critical to understanding resource management issues, the related plans and decisions and their costs and benefits.
To ensure a full pallet of relevant disciplines linked to PGM’s focus areas of urban and regional planning and land administration, we are seeking to appoint a new colleague who will bring an economic perspective to the understanding of urban and land development processes, considering their social and ecological values and impacts. This perspective will also contribute to other fields at ITC, for instance, payments for ecological services (mainly with the department of Natural Resources) and disaster risk assessment (mainly with the department of Earth Systems Analysis).
You will conduct high quality interdisciplinary research in (a part of) spatial and land economics and contribute to research networks addressing economic issues with a geo-spatial perspective, particularly in the global South. You will teach Master’s level courses, supervise MSc research and contribute to the development of courses and new educational products (e.g. through blended learning or distance learning packages). You will supervise PhD students in combination with a departmental professor. You will initiate, acquire and implement new research, education and consulting projects for the department, adding an economic perspective that will contribute to a broader and more successful project portfolio. You will undertake management and administration tasks within the ITC faculty.
- possess a PhD in spatial economics, land economy/valuation, urban economics, development economics or have a combination of degrees covering (parts of) these.
- have experience in collaborative interdisciplinary research including with geo-spatial methodologies
- have authored scientific publications covering (some of) the above.
- have broad basic knowledge of the thematic fields of the department and the faculty.
- have an aptitude for teaching, including lecturing and tutoring at an academic level.
- have a track record in attracting funds to support your research.
- have an affinity with a multi-cultural, post-graduate education environment.
- be willing to undertake international travel for work in less developed countries.
- have an excellent command of English - knowledge of or willingness to learn Dutch is an advantage
We offer an inspiring and challenging international environment. You will be initially employed for two years. Prolongation of the contract after this period is a possibility.
- Gross monthly salary between € 3,746.- and € 5,127.- (depending on experience and qualifications, job profile Assistant Professor, level 2)
- A holiday allowance of 8% of the gross annual salary
- A year-end bonus of 8.3%
- Excellent support for research and facilities for professional and personal development.
- A solid pension scheme
- Possibilities to save up holidays for sabbatical leave
- Minimum of 41 holiday days in case of full-time employment
Bedrijfsprofiel Universiteit Twente
The department of Urban and Regional Planning and Geo-Information Management (PGM) of ITC works on the linkage of geospatial technologies with both Urban and Regional Planning and Land Administration. The department views the role of people as stakeholders in all processes as crucial and seeks to support governance decisions for the sustainable future of urban regions and their hinterlands, based upon an understanding of past and present developments. The key focus of our work is on developments in the global South which are related to global challenges, as described in the Sustainable Development Goals.
University of Twente (UT)
University of Twente (UT) has entered the new decade with an ambitious, new vision, mission and strategy. As ‘the ultimate people-first university of technology' we are rapidly expanding on our High Tech Human Touch philosophy and the unique role it affords us in society. Everything we do is aimed at maximum impact on people, society and connections through the sustainable utilisation of science and technology. We want to contribute to the development of a fair, digital and sustainable society through our open, inclusive and entrepreneurial attitude. This attitude permeates everything we do and is present in every one of UT's departments and faculties. Building on our rich legacy in merging technical and social sciences, we focus on five distinguishing research domains: Improving healthcare by personalised technologies; Creating intelligent manufacturing systems; Shaping our world with smart materials; Engineering our digital society; and Engineering for a resilient world.
As an employer, University of Twente offers jobs that matter. We equip you as a staff member to shape new opportunities both for yourself and for our society. With us, you will be part of a leading tech university that is changing our world for the better. We offer an open, inclusive and entrepreneurial climate, in which we encourage you to make healthy choices, for example, with our flexible, customisable conditions.
By clicking the application button, you will be navigated to the website of The University Of Twente. In case the link is not working anymore, the vacancy has expired and you will no longer be able to apply. We try to keep our job database as up-to-date as possible, we would very much appreciate it if you could let us know in case a link is not working.
Would you like to be kept up-to-date about other interesting jobs in Twente, then sign up here and create your own job account!