Your key job responsibilities include:
- Research: collaborate within the Department, Faculty and University on developing a ‘Sustainability and Complex Adaptive Systems’ research line, resulting in high quality journal publications and national and international scholarly visibility. Co-supervise PhD students towards a successful completion and disseminate research outcomes at international conferences.
- Education: undertake teaching at different levels, contribute to existing programs and help developing them further (e.g. MSc course Multi Agent Systems; MSc Environmental and Energy Management, BSc Management, Society and Technology program and MSc Public Administration programs). Supervise BSc and MSc students.
- Valorization: attract research funding individually and collaboratively to underpin high quality research and the potential for an impact beyond academia. Proactive engagement with governmental organizations and private sector is encouraged. UT provides support with preparing VENI/VIDI and ERC proposals.
- Organization: Contribute to organizational / administrative activities and committees within the CSTM Department and the BMS Faculty.
You are a highly motivated and qualified academic who has an ambition to combine cutting edge research and innovative teaching in the rapidly evolving area of complex adaptive systems.
- You hold a PhD degree in environmental economics, geography, environmental sciences, statistics or computer sciences;
- You preferably have international research experience and experience as a post-doctoral researcher;
- You have a track record in either agent-based modelling/multi-agent systems, machine learning, network science or other complex systems methods;
- You are have a strong interest in driving a research agenda that contributes solutions to Sustainable Development Goals;
- You deliver high quality research as proven by your publication record in peer-review journals;
- Experience with computational methods in applications to climate adaptation / mitigation, urban / regional resilience, or spatial modelling is an advantage;
- You preferably have teaching experience;
- Experience in acquiring grants will strengthen your application;
- You have good communication and presentation skills, and an excellent command of English.
We offer young, talented academics an attractive career opportunity. You will be appointed as an Assistant Professor for 3 years, with a possibility of a permanent contract. By starting your career at UT, you receive an opportunity to develop as an internationally acknowledged and recognized academic. An employment at the UT entitles you to:
- Salary between €3.746,- to €5.826,- gross per month based on your experience and qualifications;
- in accordance with the Collective Labour Agreement for Dutch Universities;
- Generous social security package, including minimum of 29 holidays per year; a holiday allowance of 8% of the gross annual salary; a year-end bonus of 8.3%; a solid pension scheme and possibilities to save up for a sabbatical leave;
- Professional and personal improvement programs, including mentoring;
- UT offers an attractive benefits package, including a reduced rate for health insurance and access to sports facilities at work. Flexible work schedules can be arranged. There is a childcare located in the middle of the UT’s green campus and there is an international primary school in town.
- An engagement in the strategic 4TU Resilience ‘DeSIRE’ capacity building program, offers a unique opportunity to develop your research line within the network of academic scholars and practitioners focused on resilience, an opportunity to organize events and initialize projects that have an impact.
Bedrijfsprofiel Universiteit Twente
About the department
The Department of Governance and Technology for Sustainable Development (CSTM), University of Twente (UT), the Netherlands, invite applications for an Assistant Professor position in Sustainability and Complex Adaptive Systems. The Assistant Professor will join the CSTM thematic group on Social Complexity of Climate Change and will be embedded within Resilience Research Program of the Behavioural, Management and Social sciences Faculty. The latter unites researchers from various social sciences with a shared focus on technology and computational methods to explore how individuals, communities, cities or regions withstand, cope, adapt and continue developing in the face of gradual stress or abrupt shocks. The BMS Resilience Research Program does so by using computational methods – data analytics, agent-based modeling, gaming and visualization (see also BMS Tech4people Lab) – as research tools in developing solutions towards the UN Sustainable Development goals. An ideal candidate will share an emphasis on computational methods and sustainable urban-regional development challenges; candidates with a passion to make a difference in the climate change adaptation and mitigation .
University of Twente (UT)
University of Twente (UT) has entered the new decade with an ambitious, new vision, mission and strategy. As ‘the ultimate people-first university of technology' we are rapidly expanding on our High Tech Human Touch philosophy and the unique role it affords us in society. Everything we do is aimed at maximum impact on people, society and connections through the sustainable utilisation of science and technology. We want to contribute to the development of a fair, digital and sustainable society through our open, inclusive and entrepreneurial attitude. This attitude permeates everything we do and is present in every one of UT's departments and faculties. Building on our rich legacy in merging technical and social sciences, we focus on five distinguishing research domains: Improving healthcare by personalised technologies; Creating intelligent manufacturing systems; Shaping our world with smart materials; Engineering our digital society; and Engineering for a resilient world.
As an employer, University of Twente offers jobs that matter. We equip you as a staff member to shape new opportunities both for yourself and for our society. With us, you will be part of a leading tech university that is changing our world for the better. We offer an open, inclusive and entrepreneurial climate, in which we encourage you to make healthy choices, for example, with our flexible, customisable conditions.
By clicking the application button, you will be navigated to the website of The University of Twente. In case the link is not working anymore, the vacancy has expired and you will no longer be able to apply. We try to keep our job database as up-to-date as possible, we would very much appreciate it if you could let us know in case a link is not working.
Would you like to be kept up-to-date about other interesting jobs in Twente, then sign up here and create your own job account!