You will develop high-quality research and educational methods and outputs focusing on the handling, processing and upscaling of large volumes of spatial and temporal information. This information comes from diverse sources including lab, field, remote sensing and online data harvesting. You will work at regional, continental and global levels to monitor natural and agricultural systems. You have expertise in Artificial Intelligence approaches for mining data and are comfortable developing large database applications for forest and (semi-) natural area ecosystem structure & ecosystem function, estimating above ground biomass & carbon density, and deriving crop productivity parameters.
You will contribute to research on big data applications in natural resources management (using both structured and unstructured data), to grant/project acquisition, and to project deliverables related to the department’s research themes and geographic focus areas. You will be our point of contact with ITC's Centre of Expertise in Big Geodata Science. You will teach and further develop MSc courses, given in face to face and distance learning modes.
You are excited to work in an international team with project activities around the world. You combine a drive for scientific quality and rigour with making a difference in global environmental issues. You enjoy collaborating to develop high-quality research outputs that demonstrate the societal impact of big data science. You embrace Open Science. You have a passion for education and can teach topics such as the theory and practice of big data and advanced computer processing algorithms. You are exited to develop applications for accessing and processing of large data for natural resource management. You are a dedicated supervisor for MSc and PhD students.
- A doctoral degree related to handling and processing big data for environmental and agricultural applications at regional and global levels
- A background in the development of methods and applications in natural resources with a focus on handling big data, artificial intelligence and machine learning
- Recent and relevant high-quality publications in international journals in the topic areas of the job description
- An aptitude for teaching at Master or Bachelor levels in English
- Competency in working with multiple of the following platforms/languages (e.g. R, Python, IDL, MATLAB, C++, Java)
- Experience with scaling up or out through multi-core and distributed computing techniques for large-scale processing of Earth observation data
- Experience in undertaking international project work and enthusiasm to work in all regions where ITC is active
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Enthusiasm to work in a range of international and interdisciplinary contexts
- An excellent command of English
The following are an advantage but can also be developed over time.
- Experience with collaborative projects, like EU or ESA projects, and working in international environments
- Experience in online/distance learning modes of education
- Knowledge of, or willingness to learn Dutch
- A university teaching qualification
We offer an inspiring and challenging international environment. You will be initially employed for four years. Prolongation of the contract after this period is a possibility.
- Gross monthly salary between € 3,746.- and € 5,127.- (depending on experience and qualifications, job profile Assistant Professor level 2)
- A holiday allowance of 8% of the gross annual salary and a year-end bonus of 8.3%
- Excellent support for research and facilities for professional and personal development
- A solid pension scheme
- Minimum of 41 holiday days in case of fulltime employment
- Possibilities to save up holidays for sabbatical leave
- Professional and personal improvement programmes
Bedrijfsprofiel Universiteit Twente
The Faculty of Geo-Information Science and Earth Observation (ITC)
The Faculty of Geo-Information Science and Earth Observation (ITC) provides international postgraduate education, research and project services in the field of geo-information science (GIS) and earth observation. We use remote sensing and GIS for collecting spatial data. Our aim is to contribute to the international exchange of knowledge, focusing on capacity building and institutional development in developing countries and emerging economies. As part of a ‘people-first' university of technology, we ensure that everything we do is aimed at maximum impact on people and society through the sustainable utilisation of science and technology. We also seek to sustain and expand our role as a leader in academic social entrepreneurship.
As an employer, the ITC Faculty offers jobs that matter. We equip you as a staff member to shape new opportunities both for yourself and for our society. With our Faculty, you will be part of a leading tech university that is changing our world for the better. We offer an open, inclusive and entrepreneurial climate, in which we encourage you to make healthy choices, for example, with our flexible, customizable conditions.
University of Twente (UT)
University of Twente (UT) has entered the new decade with an ambitious, new vision, mission and strategy. As ‘the ultimate people-first university of technology' we are rapidly expanding on our High Tech Human Touch philosophy and the unique role it affords us in society. Everything we do is aimed at maximum impact on people, society and connections through the sustainable utilisation of science and technology. We want to contribute to the development of a fair, digital and sustainable society through our open, inclusive and entrepreneurial attitude. This attitude permeates everything we do and is present in every one of UT's departments and faculties. Building on our rich legacy in merging technical and social sciences, we focus on five distinguishing research domains: Improving healthcare by personalised technologies; Creating intelligent manufacturing systems; Shaping our world with smart materials; Engineering our digital society; and Engineering for a resilient world.
As an employer, University of Twente offers jobs that matter. We equip you as a staff member to shape new opportunities both for yourself and for our society. With us, you will be part of a leading tech university that is changing our world for the better. We offer an open, inclusive and entrepreneurial climate, in which we encourage you to make healthy choices, for example, with our flexible, customisable conditions.
By clicking the application button, you will be navigated to the website of The University of Twente. In case the link is not working anymore, the vacancy has expired and you will no longer be able to apply. We try to keep our job database as up-to-date as possible, we would very much appreciate it if you could let us know in case a link is not working.
Would you like to be kept up-to-date about other interesting jobs in Twente, then sign up here and create your own job account!