Bridges are important assets of our civil infrastructure. They provide the means for the modern society to function. The majority of bridges in Europe are built after WW2, therefore many of them either have reached or are approaching their designed life span. The life span of a bridge can be prolonged with adequate management strategies and via timely maintenance. Structural health monitoring (SHM) aims to provide information of bridge performance and give early warnings of damages. The SHM community still has many challenges that need to be addressed to have robust, cost effective and reliable bridge monitoring solutions.
You will develop an integrated measurement interpretation approach, which will produce accurate predictions of bridge response resulting from applied loads (e.g., temperature, traffic, and wind). Bayesian processes, for example, can be employed to characterize traffic induced response knowing properties of vehicles and bridge response. The regression-based thermal response prediction methodology characterizes bridge thermal response. Bridge conditions can then be assessed analyzing the difference between predicted and measured response.
Initially you will validate the proposed idea on numerical replicas of bridges, which you will build. Later you will assess it on the laboratory and full-scale structures. In addition to the measurements of structures that the CME team monitors, you will have access to measurements of the first metal 3D printed bridge, which we have equipped with a dense network of sensors. The bridge is located in Amsterdam and collects continuously real-time response and applied loads.
In this position
You will perform daily PhD-level research and educational activities, cooperate and exchange knowledge within the research team;
You will be required to publish your results in highly reputable research journals.
- You have a MSc degree in civil and structural engineering, computer sciences, or other relevant engineering fields.
- You have strong mathematical, analytical and communication skills, and experience in finite element modelling and programming (Matlab, Python, etc.).
- You are expected to be a ‘hands-on’ person, who is able to set up monitoring equipment and test-bed.
- You are fluent in English. You are able to do independent research and have publication skills.
We offer you a very challenging position in an inspiring multidisciplinary environment. The university offers a dynamic ecosystem with enthusiastic colleagues in which internationalization is an important part of the strategic agenda.
- We offer a four-year fulltime PhD position.
- We provide a stimulating, modern research environment with world-class research facilities.
- You will be part of a dedicated team with which you will collaborate extensively with industry.
- A starting salary of € 2.395,00 gross per month in the first year and increasing to € 3.061,00 gross per month in the fourth year.
- An annual holiday allowance of 8% of the gross annual salary, and an annual year-end bonus of 8.3%.
- A solid pension scheme.
- Minimum of 29 leave days in case of full-time employment.
- We provide excellent mentorship and a stimulating research environment to accelerate your further professional and personal growth.
- The University of Twente is situated on a green and lively campus with lots of facilities for sports and other activities.
- You first responsibility is to carry out the research, but you are also encouraged to acquire teaching experience. We support you to broaden your knowledge by joining international exchange programs, by participating in national and international conferences and workshops and by visiting industrial companies, research institutes, and universities worldwide.
Bedrijfsprofiel Universiteit Twente
The University of Twente. We stand for life sciences and technology. High tech and human touch. Education and research that matter. New technology which leads change, innovation and progress in society. The University of Twente is the only campus university of the Netherlands; divided over five faculties we provide more than fifty educational programmes. We have a strong focus on personal development and talented researchers are given scope for carrying out groundbreaking research.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status or disability status. Because of our diversity values we do particularly support women to apply.
The Faculty of Engineering Technology (ET) is one of the five faculties of the University of Twente. ET combines Mechanical Engineering, Civil Engineering and Industrial Design Engineering. Our faculty has approximately 1800 bachelor and master students, 400 employees and 150 PhD candidates. The departments of the faculty cooperatively conduct the educational programmes and participate in interdisciplinary research projects, programmes and the research institutes: Mesa+ Institute, TechMed Centra and Digital Society Institute.
By clicking the application button, you will be navigated to the website of the University of Twente. In case the link is not working anymore, the vacancy has expired and you will no longer be able to apply. We try to keep our job database as up-to-date as possible, we would very much appreciate it if you could let us know in case a link is not working.
Would you like to be kept up-to-date about other interesting jobs in Twente, then sign up here and create your own job account!