We are looking for a highly motivated and skilled post-doctoral researcher to carry out a project on stacked films of nanoscale thickness. In the form of freestanding, ultrathin membranes these are currently being developed for protection of sensitive surfaces in EUV photolithography. Though early demonstrations have been shown for various membrane stack concepts, successful industrial application still requires further improvements of the membrane properties. Specifically, the membranes should be sufficiently thin to allow high transmission of EUV light, but still remain strong enough to prevent mechanical failure. In addition, the lifetime of such membranes is intrinsically linked to thermal loading under EUV illumination in a chemically active environment.
The Industrial Focus Group XUV Optics at MESA+ has now started a new multidisciplinary research programme to study the thin film physics and chemistry of transmissive Extreme UV optics. Forefront fundamental research, relevant to the application, has been developed by this group. The research will take place in a state-of-the-art thin film laboratory within the MESA+ Institute for Nanotechnology at the University of Twente, in collaboration with the lithography equipment manufacturer ASML.
As a post-doc researcher in this project:
- You are an excellent team player in an enthusiastic group of scientists and engineers working on thin film physics and chemistry.
- Your goal is to develop the key material science required for making nanoscale-thin, EUV transparent membranes.
- This includes new types of membrane structures that combine strength and transparancy, using functional layers to meet requirements on mechanical strength, heat dissipation and chemical inertness.
- You will understand and control the growth and characterization of candidate materials, synthesizing membranes, using state-of-the-art clean room and thin film facilities.
- You will investigate the relation between the microstructure of the materials and their macroscopic properties, including the thin film physics aspects associated.
- You will collaborate intensively with lithography equipment manufacturer ASML (Veldhoven) and miscellaneous other parties in regular meetings and work visits.
- You have a PhD in physics, materials science, physical chemistry or engineering or a related field.
- You have affinity with the realization of physical or chemical depositions of nanoscale thin films (MEMS, CMOS or related) and their analysis (optical and mechanical).
- You have excellent cleanroom nano fabrication or general clean room process skills.
- You are creative, like to push boundaries, and are highly motivated to address a major science challenge in thin film physics.
- You are fluent in English and have obtained relevant, evidenced research results.
You will be appointed on a fulltime position for two years, with possible extension, within a very stimulating scientific environment. The university offers a dynamic ecosystem with enthusiastic colleagues. The starting salary ranges from € 3255,-- to € 4274,--. gross per month depending on experience and qualifications in accordance with the Collective Labour Agreement (CAO) of the Dutch Universities. The offer further involves: a holiday allowance of 8% of the gross annual salary and a year-end bonus of 8.3%, a solid pension scheme, professional and personal development programs.
Bedrijfsprofiel Universiteit Twente
The University of Twente. We stand for life sciences and technology. High tech and human touch. Education and research that matter. New technology which leads change, innovation and progress in society. The University of Twente is the only campus university of the Netherlands; divided over five faculties we provide more than fifty educational programmes. We have a strong focus on personal development and talented researchers are given scope for carrying out groundbreaking research.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status or disability status. Because of our diversity values we do particularly support women to apply.
Within the TNW Faculty (Faculty of Science & Technology) of the University of Twente some 700 staff members and 2000 students are involved in training and research on the interface of chemical technology, applied physics and biomedical technology. Fields of application include sustainable energy, process technology and materials science, nanotechnology and technical medicine. Research, which enjoys a high profile both at home and internationally, has been accommodated in the multidisciplinary research institutes: Mesa+ Institute, TechMed Centra and Digital Society Institute. The faculty works together intensively with industrial partners and researchers in the Netherlands and abroad and conducts extensive research for external commissioning parties and funders.
By clicking the application button, you will be navigated to the website of the University of Twente. In case the link is not working anymore, the vacancy has expired and you will no longer be able to apply. We try to keep our job database as up-to-date as possible, we would very much appreciate it if you could let us know in case a link is not working.
Would you like to be kept up-to-date about other interesting jobs in Twente, then sign up here and create your own job account!