University of Twente’s Technical Medical Centre is widely recognized for its excellence in development of new biomedical solutions and advanced biomanufacturing technologies. Our Department, has a strong history in the development of advanced biomaterials for the minimally invasive treatment of various diseases. More recently, we have developed microfluidic platforms that allow for the microencapsulation of cells in ultrathin immunoprotective polymeric capsules. You will be responsible for investigating the cell-material interaction of these novel micromaterials. Specifically, the performance of the encapsulated cells, as well as the host response (i.e. fibrous encapsulation and immune reaction) will be investigated using relevant animal models. You will therefore work on the multidisciplinary interface of immunology, cell biology, and biomaterial science and you will team up with a polymer scientist who has developed the microencapsulation technology.
- You hold a PhD degree that was based on Biomedical Science, Immunology, Biomedical Engineering, or an equivalent field of research; A background in diabetes (-related field) is preferred, but not essential.
- You have excellent analytical skills and an innate ability for solution oriented problem solving;
- You have a strong interest in cell-biomaterial interaction, immune responses, clinical translation, and microfluidic materials;
- You have experience in investigating immune responses, cell-material interactions, or biomaterials. Experience in micromaterials, implantations studies, and microfluidic droplet generation will be considered as a benefit;
- You have experience with experimentation in animal models and possess relevant qualifications for working with animals (article 9 or equivalent).
- You are a team player with great communication skills;
- You have demonstrable leadership potential and experience in the supervision of students.
- You are fluent in English, both spoken and written.
You will be appointed on a fulltime position for two years, within a very stimulating scientific environment. The university offers a dynamic ecosystem with enthusiastic colleagues.
- Starting salary ranges from € 3.255 to € 4.274 gross per month depending on your background, relevant experience and qualifications, in accordance with the Collective Labour Agreement (CAO) of the Dutch Universities;
- A stimulating work environment in a recognized Centre of Excellence;
- A holiday allowance of 8% of the gross annual salary and a year-end bonus of 8.3%;
- A solid pension scheme;
- Professional and personal development programs;
- A high degree of responsibility and independence, while collaborating with close colleagues, researchers and other university staff is strongly encouraged.
Bedrijfsprofiel Universiteit Twente
The University of Twente. We stand for life sciences and technology. High tech and human touch. Education and research that matter. New technology which leads change, innovation and progress in society. The University of Twente is the only campus university of the Netherlands; divided over five faculties we provide more than fifty educational programmes. We have a strong focus on personal development and talented researchers are given scope for carrying out groundbreaking research.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status or disability status. Because of our diversity values we do particularly support women to apply.
Within the TNW Faculty (Faculty of Science & Technology) of the University of Twente some 700 staff members and 2000 students are involved in training and research on the interface of chemical technology, applied physics and biomedical technology. Fields of application include sustainable energy, process technology and materials science, nanotechnology and technical medicine. Research, which enjoys a high profile both at home and internationally, has been accommodated in the multidisciplinary research institutes: Mesa+ Institute, TechMed Centra and Digital Society Institute. The faculty works together intensively with industrial partners and researchers in the Netherlands and abroad and conducts extensive research for external commissioning parties and funders.
By clicking the application button, you will be navigated to the website of the University of Twente. In case the link is not working anymore, the vacancy has expired and you will no longer be able to apply. We try to keep our job database as up-to-date as possible, we would very much appreciate it if you could let us know in case a link is not working.
Would you like to be kept up-to-date about other interesting jobs in Twente, then sign up here and create your own job account!