We invite applicants for a 2-year post-doctoral position on the modeling of gas separation membrane processes. The addition of selective moieties into a polymer matrix to improve the properties of a membrane has gained significant attention in recent years. It is hypothesized that these moieties can enhance the efficiency of gas separation processes, allowing higher permeance for a given selectivity (or vice versa). A notable example of this type of approach is the use of Metal Organic Frameworks (MOFs) in polymeric materials to fabricate Mixed Matrix Membranes (MMMs). Within the Membrane Science and Technology cluster of the University of Twente, a post-doctoral vacancy in this research area is available.
In this project a theoretical/numerical analysis will be performed that will analyze the potential of these MMMs as membrane materials and compare them to both conventional and facilitated transport membranes. This will be accomplished through modeling and simulation of the relevant transport phenomena in these systems, in order to understand the microscopic mass transport limitations within the separation layer and macroscopic mass transport limitation at a module level. The outcome of this project will give insights in the capabilities of MMMs, the efficacy of readily prepared membranes and their viability within processes.
- Developing a transport model framework for sensitivity analysis of gas transport in MMMs and implementing this at a simulation level
- Validation of this model framework against experimental data
- Benchmarking MMMs on both process and module scale
These goals will be accomplished via numerical simulations (continuum-based transport models are intended to be used), supported by experimental results obtained by project partners. The starting date is as soon as possible.
- PhD in relevant related field (for example Chemical Engineering)
- Highly experienced in numerical programming (for example, in Python)
- Familiarity with transport phenomena relevant for gas-separation is required
- Expertise in using MATLAB and COMSOL is an asset
- Previous experience with use of Monte Carlo or Molecular Dynamics methods in gas transport applications is an asset
- Previous experimental expertise in gas-separation membranes will also be strongly valued
- Excellent communication skills in English are mandatory
Within the MST cluster, there are multiple staff members running membrane and membrane-related research lines from the molecular scale to process level. You will be part of and expected to contribute to a dynamic and world-class research environment. You should be eager to engage in international and interdisciplinary collaborative workplace and possess excellent communication skills.
You will be appointed for two years, within a very stimulating scientific environment. The university offers a dynamic ecosystem with enthusiastic colleagues.
- Starting salary ranges from € 3.255,= to € 4.274,- gross per month depending on your background, relevant experience and qualifications, in accordance with the Collective Labour Agreement (CAO) of the Dutch Universities;
- A stimulating work environment in a recognized Centre of Excellence;
- A holiday allowance of 8% of the gross annual salary and a year-en-bonus of 8.3%;
- A solid pension scheme;
- 232 holiday hours in case of full-time employment;
- Professional and personal development programs;
Bedrijfsprofiel Universiteit Twente
The University of Twente. We stand for life sciences and technology. High tech and human touch. Education and research that matter. New technology which leads change, innovation and progress in society. The University of Twente is the only campus university of the Netherlands; divided over five faculties we provide more than fifty educational programmes. We have a strong focus on personal development and talented researchers are given scope for carrying out groundbreaking research.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status or disability status. Because of our diversity values we do particularly support women to apply.
Within the TNW Faculty (Faculty of Science & Technology) of the University of Twente some 700 staff members and 2000 students are involved in training and research on the interface of chemical technology, applied physics and biomedical technology. Fields of application include sustainable energy, process technology and materials science, nanotechnology and technical medicine. Research, which enjoys a high profile both at home and internationally, has been accommodated in the multidisciplinary research institutes MESA+ and MIRA. The faculty works together intensively with industrial partners and researchers in the Netherlands and abroad and conducts extensive research for external commissioning parties and funders.
Closingdate: 19 July 2019
By clicking the application button, you will be navigated to the website of the University of Twente. In case the link is not working anymore, the vacancy has expired and you will no longer be able to apply. We try to keep our job database as up-to-date as possible, we would very much appreciate it if you could let us know in case a link is not working.
Would you like to be kept up-to-date about other interesting jobs in Twente, then sign up here and create your own job account!