The NE Group is embedded in the MESA+ Institute for Nanotechnology (www.mesaplus.utwente.nl). MESA+ is one of the largest nanotechnology research institutes in the world, delivering competitive and successful high-quality research. It uses a unique structure, which unites scientific disciplines, and builds fruitful international cooperation to excel in science and education. The institute employs 500 people of which 275 are PhD’s or PostDocs. With its brand new NanoLab facilities the institute holds 1250 m2 of cleanroom space and state-of-the-art research equipment. MESA+ has an internationally appealing and multidisciplinary approach by combining physics, electrical engineering, chemistry, materials science and mathematics.
We are looking for a highly motivated and skilled PhD student to carry out a project on silicon quantum dots, an exciting research field that attracts an ever-increasing amount of attention worldwide and forms a main research theme within the NanoElectronics group (NE, www.nano-electronics.nl). NE focuses in particular on the intersects and overlapping areas of quantum electronics, spin electronics (spintronics) and hybrid inorganic-organic electronics. The silicon quantum team aims at using surface acoustic waves to control and transport electrons in silicon quantum dots.
Are you up for the challenge to help us reach a new era for quantum acoustics?
As a PhD student in this project:
- You are a great team player in a team working on quantum dots in different types of silicon nanostructures;
- You will fabricate state-of-the-art silicon quantum electronics devices, and measure those at (milli)Kelvin temperatures to study surface acoustic waves and quantum dots via electron transport experiments;
- You will collaborate with universities in Delft, Leiden and Eindhoven; all knowledge will be shared by regular meetings and visits with all involved scientists.
- You have a MSc degree in (applied) physics, nanotechnology, electrical engineering or a related topic;
- You have a keen interest in picking up cleanroom nano fabrication skills and ideally have experience with low-temperature electron transport measurement;
- You have excellent experimental and theoretical skills;
- You are highly motivated, enthusiastic, have good team spirit and like to work in an internationally oriented environment;
- You are fluent in English.
You will be appointed on a fulltime position for four years, within a very stimulating scientific environment. The university offers a dynamic ecosystem with enthusiastic colleagues.
- Starting salary will be € 2.325 gross per month in the first year up to € 2972 gross in the last year;
- A holiday allowance of 8% of the gross annual salary and a year-end bonus of 8.3%;
- A solid pension scheme;
- Minimum of 41 holidays in case of full-time employment;
- Professional and personal development programs;
- A high degree of responsibility and independence, while collaborating with close colleagues, researchers and other university staff is strongly encouraged.
Bedrijfsprofiel Universiteit Twente
The University of Twente. We stand for life sciences and technology. High tech and human touch. Education and research that matter. New technology which leads change, innovation and progress in society. The University of Twente is the only campus university of the Netherlands; divided over five faculties we provide more than fifty educational programmes. We have a strong focus on personal development and talented researchers are given scope for carrying out groundbreaking research.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status or disability status. Because of our diversity values we do particularly support women to apply.
The faculty of Electrical Engineering, Mathematics and Computer Science (EEMCS) comprises three disciplines that shape Information and Communication Technology. ICT is more than communication. In almost every product we use mathematics, electronics and computer technology and ICT now contributes to all of societies' activities. The faculty works together intensively with industrial partners and researchers in the Netherlands and abroad and conducts extensive research for external commissioning parties and funders. The research which enjoys a high profile both at home and internationally, has been accommodated in the multidisciplinary research institutes: Mesa+ Institute, TechMed Centra and Digital Society Institute.
Closingdate: 23 August 2019.
By clicking the application button, you will be navigated to the website of the University of Twente. In case the link is not working anymore, the vacancy has expired and you will no longer be able to apply. We try to keep our job database as up-to-date as possible, we would very much appreciate it if you could let us know in case a link is not working.
Would you like to be kept up-to-date about other interesting jobs in Twente, then sign up here and create your own job account!