Design thinking is a powerful tool for tackling the unknown that provides a framework for structuring a process to support creative problem solving. Design Thinking has shown promising results in multiple case studies across the globe. There are also cases where this method has failed to produce a viable solution. These teachings show that, as is with every process, Design Thinking needs to be tuned to the specific context that it is being used for.
The mission of this design project is to:
“develop a design thinking approach, including a hands-on toolbox that supports teams at Apollo Tyres to explore potential futures for mobility and corresponding new business opportunities that transform the expertise of Apollo Tyres into innovative new tyre products that serve the needs of society.”
You will create, apply and evaluate this design thinking approach in the context of the development of a new tyre specifically developed for the e-car market.
Your additional goals and prototype deliverable:
- Define the trends foreseen in the future of mobility and identifying new business opportunities for Apollo Tyres that arise from these trends.
- Proof of principle of the design thinking methodology to connect new technology, Apollo brand and society and its implementation within the Apollo Tyres organization.
- Development of a new tyre specifically developed for the e-car market and that makes use of the data collected by its sensors to connect, interact and adapt to the external environment (weather, road, urban environment).
In the course program you get a customized education package consisting of courses that help you performing the project.
- You hold an MSc degree in Industrial Design Engineering, Civil Engineering or any other field relevant to the position with strong affiliation to design thinking and human-society-technology interaction;
- You have demonstrated affinity with design and multidisciplinary assignments;
- You have a passion for finding solutions for complex technological issues;
- You have strong collaboration and communication skills;
- You are self-motivating, willing to take initiatives and feel the responsibility for your own project
Candidates with a non-Dutch qualification and who have not had secondary and tertiary education in English need to provide a minimum IELTS-test score of 6.5, internet TOEFL test (TOEFL-iBT) showing a score of at least 90, or a Cambridge CAE-C (CPE).
We offer a very challenging position for two years in an inspiring multidisciplinary and international environment. In this time we will provide you with a tailor made post-master design programme that has an educational component (~50%) as well as a design project (~50%).
- A salary of € 1.913 gross per month;
- A holiday allowance of 8% of the gross annual salary and a year-end bonus of 8.3%;
- A solid pension scheme;
- Minimum of 29 holidays in case of full-time employment.
On successfully completing the programme, you will receive a certified and recognized degree. You will be entitled to use the academic degree PDEng and will be registered as a Technological Designer in the Dutch register kept by the Royal Institution of Engineers in the Netherlands (KIVI).
Bedrijfsprofiel Universiteit Twente
The University of Twente. We stand for life sciences and technology. High tech and human touch. Education and research that matter. New technology which leads change, innovation and progress in society. The University of Twente is the only campus university of the Netherlands; divided over five faculties we provide more than fifty educational programmes. We have a strong focus on personal development and talented researchers are given scope for carrying out groundbreaking research.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status or disability status. Because of our diversity values we do particularly support women to apply.
The Faculty of Engineering Technology (ET) is one of the five faculties of the University of Twente. ET combines Mechanical Engineering, Civil Engineering and Industrial Design Engineering. Our faculty has approximately 1800 bachelor and master students, 400 employees and 150 PhD candidates. The departments of the faculty cooperatively conduct the educational programmes and participate in interdisciplinary research projects, programmes and the research institutes: Mesa+ Institute, TechMed Centra and Digital Society Institute.
Closingdate: 1 June 2019
By clicking the application button, you will be navigated to the website of the University of Twente. In case the link is not working anymore, the vacancy has expired and you will no longer be able to apply. We try to keep our job database as up-to-date as possible, we would very much appreciate it if you could let us know in case a link is not working.
Would you like to be kept up-to-date about other interesting jobs in Twente, then sign up here and create your own job account!