The Professional Doctorate in Engineering (PDEng) programme Energy & Process Technology (EPT) offers you a 2-year position combining post-MSc education and a project on virtual framework development at Apollo Tyres Global R&D. The educational programme, carried out at the University of Twente (UT), will have an in-depth and broadening character with ample attention for professional development.
Outdoor testing of tyres can be time consuming and expensive. When it comes to testing of winter tyres on snow surfaces, for example, several challenges are present:
- mould production is time consuming and has to be planned well in advance,
- the presence of snow and a specific temperature range is required, and (3) the quality of snow is variable which hinders comparing tyres in an absolute manner.
The goal of this PDEng assignment is to develop, test and implement a procedure that enables virtual testing of tread blocks on snow or snow-like surfaces. Specific goals of the project are:
- Search and compare existing numerical models to assess which one is most suitable to simulate the interaction between the rubber blocks and the deformable snow;
- Elaborate/develop a digital twin of the rubber and snow-tyre interaction;
- Calibrate/validate the rubber and snow-tyre models against experimental results;
- Design a virtual test procedure with predictive capabilities to compare and optimize tread-pattern designs.
Expected deliverables: A numerical tool that can be efficiently used by the tyre manufacturer.
As an ideal candidate
- You have obtained a Msc degree in a field such as (but not exclusively) mechanical/civil/chemical engineering, computer science applied physics or related areas;
- You have a strong interest in material science, tribology, numerical simulations and/or optimization techniques;
- You are interested to learn and contribute to advanced numerical approaches for industrial applications;
- You love working in a multidisciplinary team in which fundamental and applied research cross-fertilize.
Furthermore, an appropriate qualification in the English Language together with excellent communication and organizational skills are required.
The project will run between Apollo Tyres Global R&D and the MultiScale Mechanics group at the University of Twente, both located in The Netherlands.
We offer you a contract for a period of two years. During these two years you follow a tailor made post-master design programme with a combination of education (50%) and working on a design project (50%). The salary and conditions are in accordance with the Collective Labour Agreement (CAO) of the Dutch Universities. The gross salary is € 1.913 per month. The salary is supplemented with a holiday allowance of 8% and an end-of-year bonus of 8,3%. Additionally, the UT provides excellent facilities for professional and personal development. On successfully completing the programme, you will receive a certified and recognised degree. You will be entitled to use the academic degree PDEng and will be registered as a Technological Designer in the Dutch register kept by the Royal Institution of Engineers in the Netherlands (KIVI).
Bedrijfsprofiel Universiteit Twente
The University of Twente. We stand for life sciences and technology. High tech and human touch. Education and research that matter. New technology which leads change, innovation and progress in society. The University of Twente is the only campus university of the Netherlands; divided over five faculties we provide more than fifty educational programmes. We have a strong focus on personal development and talented researchers are given scope for carrying out groundbreaking research.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status or disability status. Because of our diversity values we do particularly support women to apply.
The Faculty of Engineering Technology (ET) is one of the five faculties of the University of Twente. ET combines Mechanical Engineering, Civil Engineering and Industrial Design Engineering. Our faculty has approximately 1800 bachelor and master students, 400 employees and 150 PhD candidates. The departments of the faculty cooperatively conduct the educational programmes and participate in interdisciplinary research projects, programmes and the research institutes: Mesa+ Institute, TechMed Centra and Digital Society Institute.
By clicking the application button, you will be navigated to the website of the University of Twente. In case the link is not working anymore, the vacancy has expired and you will no longer be able to apply. We try to keep our job database as up-to-date as possible, we would very much appreciate it if you could let us know in case a link is not working.
Would you like to be kept up-to-date about other interesting jobs in Twente, then sign up here and create your own job account!