The Director Engineering is the final responsible of the entire design, development and qualification process of our products and solutions. Responsibility goes from initial estimates of the required man-hours and cost until the actual realization according to these estimates which are monitored by appropriate metrics. Of course, innovation and design to cost are key elements in this. Execution of the engineering activities is often done in cooperation with international partners internal and/or external the Thales Group.
The engineering department has gone through and is still going through an enormous growth in number of people. The Director Engineering is leading this growth by ensuring that best-in-class technical and organizational talents are acquired, making sure that these new (mostly young) engineers feel welcome and quickly perform to the best of their capabilities in a pleasant working atmosphere.
She/he ensures the deployment of processes, methods, tools and practices while managing efficiency and effectiveness in Engineering for the full life-cycle of products, systems and solutions (including services).
The Director Engineering:
- Is a member of the Naval Management Team
- Is responsible for innovation of system engineering technologies, methods, tools and processes.
- Leads and directs architectures to meet market emerging requirements.
- Develops and manages collaborative, multi-entity teams
- Ensures the proper learning, coaching etc. to support the professional development (competences, skills and careers) of employees and multi-entity teams in the engineering departments
- You have a proven track record in the Engineering domain (knowledge of the Thales process, methods and tools is an advantage),
- are open minded and thinks ‘outside in’ ,
- have a Master degree in Engineering,
- have international experience in a high tech environment,
- are able to drive and implement change and lead the team according to the Thales Leadership Profile of which the most important successively are:
- Shape solutions out of complexity – simplify complexity, be agile and focused on the important, quickly and unconventionally when appropriate.
- Perform through cooperation – contribute to the collective success and completion of projects, oppose individualistic attitudes in favour of win-win behaviours, manage on output.
- Engage and develop teams – express a vision for the present and the future and being a driving force, make people aware of their responsibilities with respect to current challenges and secure their commitment, support staff development.
- Manage self – be aware of strengths and areas for development, be a role model in all circumstances, build trust, giving and taking feedback.
- Be ambitious and accountable – take appropriate risks and decisions, demonstrate high standards for oneself and others.
- Influence key stakeholders – understand the dynamics of individuals, groups, cultures etc. in order to adapt one’s behavior and influence others in the interests of the company.
- An interesting job within a nice team in an international high-tech environment;
- Room for and attention to personal development and personal initiative;
- The opportunity to grow within the organization, for instance on a managerial, commercial or international level;
- An open and flexible work environment where a good work-life balance is considered important;
- A pleasant workplace in "the best building in the Netherlands" (Public’s Choice Award, 2015).
Bedrijfsprofiel Thales Nederland
In fast changing markets, customers worldwide rely on Thales. Thales is a business where brilliant people from all over the world come together to share ideas and inspire each other. In aerospace, transportation, defence, security and space, our achitects design innovative solutions that make our tomorrow's possible.
With 80.000 talents working in 68 countries, we are one of the biggest high-tech employers in the field of safety and security. In the Netherlands, where 2000 employees are based, we are located in four locations: Huizen, Delft, Eindhoven and Hengelo (HQ). Together with an extensive ecosystem of knowledge partners, customers and suppliers, we work on radars for naval vessels, cyber security solutions, transportation systems, communication equipment for land forces, cryogenic cooling solutions and research & development for radar tech (in collaboration with TU Delft).
About the team
The Engineering department is part of the Naval organization within Thales Netherland. Engineering consists of four main groups: System Engineering (230 employees), Mechanical & Electrical Engineering (90 employees), Applications Engineering (250 employees) and Radar Front End Engineering (80 employees).
Designing innovative products, systems and solutions is the core business of Engineering, taking into account the full life-cycle where services are an important part of this total life-cycle. Engineering technology roadmaps are used to perform efficiently and improve the afore mentioned activities. Engineering is responsible for the entire development process, from initial specification to final testing, performed in house but also on customer sites all over the world.
Cooperation of the teams with other teams is key. The development of products is done in cooperation between the teams of Standard Solutions Management, Engineering and Supply Chain. This includes the pro-active cooperation in Product Teams to ensure our competitiveness.
By clicking the application button, you will be navigated to the website of Thales in Twente! In case the link is not working anymore, the vacancy has expired and you will no longer be able to apply. We try to keep our job database as up-to-date as possible, we would very much appreciate it if you could let us know in case a link is not working.
Would you like to be kept up-to-date about other interesting jobs in Twente, then sign up here and create your own job account!